Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 24, 2010 - From the CTM

Hello from Brazil the most beautiful place on earth with the friendliest people I think I have ever met. Seriously. I think I've hugged more missionaries here or hugged more males than I have ever in my entire life. And I´ve only been here for about 3 weeks. It´s really crazy and I love them so much. One thing, if you ever come to Brazil soccer is huge here. I´ve learned about 3 or 4 different teams and I think I´m going to be buying jerseys of random teams I find. I´m pretty darn excited. I have this paper I carry around in my pocket and I write down thoughts that I want to send home to my Family and Friends. So here they come. First. Brazilians see Americans and jump to all the American movies they´ve seen and match famous actors, artists and stuff to American missionaries. In my district apparently we have David Beckham, Johnny Depp, Jack Johnson, Clark Kent, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. Multiple others too. Apparently I look like Johnny Depp... Kinda weird. One of the Brazilians was joking around with me and asked me when I was going to shoot the Fourth Pirates of the Caribbian movie. I thought it was funny. My response to him was I´m setting my movie career aside for now. Next thing I learned this last week is there is no connection between ASL and Portuguese. I´ve tried to find something but I think ASL was stuck in a box when all the languages chose teams. Poor poor Sign Language. When I want to say a word and and don´t know it in Portuguese, I start to sign the word. Then remember no one here knows anything about sign language... so I have to actually use my voice. It´s kinda difficult sometimes. So another thing is that when I left home I thought I´d be setting aside all music when coming on a mission. That´s a totally different story here. I´m in the Choir, my district likes to sing, we are going to do prelude to some meeting and I´m singing/Playing the piano for them and the lady here who is in charge of the music has given me music to practice. So now I need to to find time to do that. It´s crazy. Crazy fun though. I also have decided this last week the Elder Holland is probably one of my favorite apostles. He´s so strong and if you don´t want to listen to him. He won't care. But his message will break down the wall you tried to build. So you might as well listen to him on your own free will. This last week I also learned something really cool about the parable of the Good Samaritan. For everyone it is saying be kind to everyone. But if you read it very carefully you´ll learn it has a deeper meaning. Read it. Study it this week. Next week I´ll tell you what I learn from that story. I have about 7 minutes left to write a letter. and I don´t know what to say. I´m sure by now you´ll have a headache from reading this letter as it crammed together cause I have no 'Enter' button to make it look any nicer. Oh the language here is difficult. As you can already tell I´ve tired to find a medium between English and Portuguese and I haven´t found anything. I´m pretty sure I´ll learn this language before I leave the mission in two years. But right now I only can follow a little. Literally follow... almost. The word ´To Speak´ in portuguese is 'Falar". Almost sounds like follow. The hardest part right now is congugations and spelling if you haven´t noticed. I think my spelling is deterioating. so... yeah. Not much to say here.
Signing Out Elder Barry

No comments: