Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

Rowing

Dear Family,

We had a transfer... and nothing changed. I'm staying with my companion in the same area... I'm way excited because we are learning the things we need to do to help people be baptized.

I have not received the shoes yet but I bet they are coming. Today is transfers and when the other dupla gets back from ASA Norte (where they have transfers) I bet they will bring them... I hope they will bring them :D

Nice Juicy Letter... I'm actually scared to write a nice juicy letter... because I don't want it to turn into pride, with an attitude of look at me and the things I'm doing. I've been keeping my letters a little stripped of this... because I'm scared of the things I'll say. Does that make sense? But I'll try to show you stuff that's going on.

But I'll put it at the end... because I like to end with a bang.

Thank you for the companion study paper... I will start to put that into play... talk with my companion... maybe translate it because my companion doesn't know English.

Mom, I'm guessing that phrase that you "dominate their faces off" means that you just are amazing and really know how you teach and let them know what they need to do.

Well, lets start with an experience I had about baptism. Last week me and my companion didn't have anyone that could baptize, no one was progressing and all of our investigators had fallen through. One day we decided to do the Challenge of the mission... It was simple. Mark three appointments with people that have already been taught for the next day and mark three appointments with families. We started this and it didn't turn out good. We only marked one with an investigator and one with a family. Well we returned the next day to the investigator that was already taught. Her name is Amanda. We returned and just started to talk to her. We asked why the missionaries stopped visiting her. She said "Eu acha que eu parei indo pra a Igreja" Which means in English that she stopped going to church. We started teaching her, marked a date with her for the weekend. We found her on Wednesday and she was baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday. It was an amazing experience because I can see how following our leaders and doing the things they ask will help us find more people. Also... In our mission we need to do 10 contacts per day. This day I just decided to do 30. So when I did thirty... we found someone to get baptized... Because of this and some other stories that have happened to other missionairies... we have decided to just do a whole lot of contacts every single day.

So I want to tell a story that I heard that has really changed the way I think of things... This story... I have named it... The Rower's wish.

On a ship there was a rower. He had been working on the ship for about 2 years as a rower. One of his friends named John started working the same day. But after two years, this rower was still a rower and John was an assitant to the Captain. The rower was wondering why he didn't have a position like John so he went to the captain to ask. He said, "Captain, John and I have been here working for you for 2 years. With the same amount of time, why is John your assistant and I'm just a rower? I want to do something bigger to help the ship."
The captain stopped and thought a little and said "Ok, If you want to prove yourself, I need someone to row over to that land to see what is going on there. Can you do that?"
The rower agreed to do this, left the ship on a little canoe went to the land. When he arrived there he saw a giant building in the middle of the island being built. So he rowed his little boat back to the Captain and told him about the giant building.
The captain said "Thanks, but what is this giant building going to be?"
The rower said "Let me go check, I'll be right back"
The rower left and rowed his way back to the land and started to ask the people what the building would be. He learned that it would be a palace. So he rowed his way back to the ship to tell the captain.
When he returned, he told the captain the information he found out.
"Thanks" the captain replied "But why are they building a new palace? Who is the king? And what happend to the old palace?"
The rower, feeling really tired but anxious to show that he can work, left on the instant to the land. He arrived there and found out the information the captian wanted. He learned that they were building a new palace because the old palace was just too small to fit all of the king's court and the king's name was James.
The rower, really tired, slowly made his way back to the ship. When he arrived, he told the captain all the information that he knew.
The captain thanked the rower for his efforts and called his assistant named John.
The captain told John to go to the land and see what was going on.
John left on his way. When John arrived at the land he saw the giant construction, asked if he could talk to the man in charge and found his way to the king of the land. When John returned he told that captian that there was a giant building that way going to be a palace because the old palace was too small to fit all of the king's subjects. This palace will be done in 3 months and to top it off John had marked, for the next day, dinner for the captain with the king.
The captain thanked John for his help and returned to the rower and said "This is why John is my assistant and you are just a rower."

I told this story because it helped me realize that I need to work more than what is asked. If we only do what we are told to do, we will only receive the minimal blessing, But when we do more than what is asked of us, The Lord will bless us more and more. Bless us with more opportunites to work and more miracles.

I have decided that I want to see miracles in my mission. I know that I need to work a lot to reach that goal.

I love you

Endure to the End

Signing Out
Elder Barry


Funny Story. I have a photo of our ninja show. We did this on P-Day. It's the missionaries I live with and the Zone Leaders are there too. We had a District Study with the Zone Leaders. They came on P-Day... so... before they left... after study... We had some fun.





No comments: